2009-10-25

T60, ATI X1300, Ubuntu 9.04, working display adapter

In Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty old ATI cards such as Mobility X1300 (used for example in some Lenovo T60) no longer worked out of the box in hardware accelerated mode causing serious performance problems. Here's how I solved the problem.

Before downgrading to 8.10 I took last attempt and tried a recipe from Chinese Ubuntu forums and they worked (via Google translator). I did not read any instructions which is not a good idea. 

Note: the below commands can do whatever damage to your computer and I cannot take any responsibility of what happens. Do your own study properly (unlike me). Adding things to your source.list and new gpg keys contain always serious risk.

Here's the catch from the thread:
  1. Add following lines to the end of /etc/apt/sources.list 
    • deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
    • deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main 
  2. add project gpg key to your system: sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 8844C542 
  3. refresh package repository: sudo apt-get update 
  4. At this stage software update window popped up for me and I installed all updates, restarted and everything worked.
I hope this helps.

Update: Compiz does not work so it seems that the acceleration is only limited, but the quality problems disappeared anyway. Update2: now Compiz works again, the solution is probably not the most stable.

No comments: